And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years. -Abraham Lincoln
- Make time every day to do something you love.
- Whether its 20 minutes or 2 hours, make it a priority to find time in your day to do something that makes you happy and at peace. I don’t care if your schedule is off-the-wall crazy, if you spend 20 minutes doing something you love, it is worth it to take a quick break from your busy life.
- Don’t worry about the things you cannot control.
- Why waste your time and emotions worrying over things you cannot possibly change? Some things are simply out of your control and we need to learn to accept that and move on.
- Don’t dwell on the past and stop worrying about the future.
- The past is in the past and there is no sense dwelling on it now. It’s over and done with and our lives keep on going. Stop sitting around waiting for the future and worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow or the next day. Live in the present and be all there.
- Tell the people you hold dearest to you that you love them whenever you get the chance.
- Count your blessings every day. In our world today, you never know what is going to happen tomorrow.
- Don’t hold grudges.
- Grudges are a waste of happiness. Apologize when you should and let go of what you can’t change. Anyone can hold a grudge, but it takes a person with true character to forgive. Forgiveness doesn’t mean what happened was okay and it doesn’t mean that person should still be welcome in your life but it means you have made peace with whatever happened and are ready to move on. Don’t live with hate in your heart and forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace.
- Realize that you are in control of your own happiness.
- Don’t let anybody else be in control of your happiness. If you aren’t happy, FIX IT! It’s all up to you. Life is too short to spend your time unhappy.
- Make light out of every situation.
- Everything happens for a reason; we just need to figure out what that reason is. Look for the positives in every situation and think of it as a learning opportunity. Be thankful for the ups, the downs, the good, the bad, the happy and the sad, for that means you are alive and living. Without the lows, we would not be as grateful for the highs.
- Appreciate your surroundings.
- Put down that damn cell phone! There is so much beauty in the world that we take for granted and don’t take enough time to appreciate.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
- Do something you’ve never done before at least once a week. Do something that makes you uncomfortable. Don’t get caught up in the same old boring routines every day just because that’s what you’re comfortable doing. Make new friends, ask your crush out on a date, try a new food recipe or restaurant, hell, go skydiving! Don’t live with regrets wishing you had done something when you had the opportunity to.
- Be honest
- Not only with others, but to yourself. Dishonesty drains energy and takes away from true happiness. If we are not honest with ourselves, we are holding ourselves back from learning and growing. Honesty will help you live a better, fuller life.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Life is as much about how you get where you are going as where you go. Living your life to the fullest is a process that will take your whole life to develop.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.”- Albus Dumbledore
Now put down your phone and go live 🙂